Friday night food has a pretty consistent theme at our house – simple, filling and social. A good glass (or more) of wine, paired with something we can share quietly in the living room, or stretched if friends drop by.
Our two go-to options: Charcuterie boards and pizza.
Now, before you get ready to exercise your dialing finger, take a quick look in the fridge. Chances are you have everything you need for a homemade pizza that can be ready in the time it takes for your delivery pizza to arrive and tastes 10 times better. (Plus, you can invest the $20 you would have spent on pizza in a good bottle of chianti or prosecco.)
Here’s our favourite recipe for thin crust pizza with three options for toppings.
Thin crust pizza
- Place pizza stone in oven and pre-heat to 500 degrees
- ¾ cup warm water (not too hot)
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- ¼ tsp sugar
- Mix well and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of your stand mixer (with dough hook attachment), combine:
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 3 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pour yeast mixture over flour mixture and mix well. Set machine to knead dough for 3 minutes.
- Place dough on lightly floured parchment paper and use a rolling pin to make a circle approx. ¼” thick
- Place parchment paper and dough onto hot pizza stone and bake for 4 minutes
- Remove from oven and add toppings (suggestions below)
- Return to over for 8 to 10 minutes
- Let cool slightly before slicing and serving
Option 1: Barbecue Pulled Pork
In a skillet, sauté:
- 1 sliced shallot
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup arugula or spinach
- Leftover pulled pork (recipe here)
Brush pizza crust with olive oil and garlic. Layer with skillet toppings. Cover with shredded cheese. Finally, drizzle with barbecue sauce.
Option 2: Traditional Italian-style
Brush pizza crust with olive oil and garlic. Sprinkle with shaved parmesan cheese. Layer with thin slices of pepperoni or salami, fresh basil and Kalamata olives. Top with shredded mozzarella and drizzle with tomato sauce.
Option 3: Hearty sausage pizza
In a skillet, sauté Italian sausage, red peppers, sliced mushrooms and 1 sliced shallot. Brush pizza crust with olive oil and garlic. Layer with skillet toppings. Cover with shredded cheese. Drizzle with tomato sauce.